Sushi for beginners

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Of protruding stomachs...

It was exactly one week after I commented on my cousin’s enormous amounts of weight gain that I received a phone call about her having a daughter. Whooops! My reaction was strictly due to shock, surprise and the cringe within. I had to crawl after my dropped jaw to get hold of it and put it in it’s place. Me and my big mouth. And this too after *thinking* how extremely huge my petite aunt was getting and then finding out she was almost full term with her- ahem- twins! That, too, after she delivered of course! Delivered- what a weird term really. Like delivering pizza, or the chili chicken burger…. Like calling up KCF for the free delivery. Then, saying she has delivered twins. Really? Where from? Couldn’t there be a separate term for….*delivering*… babies? *Delivering* sounds like a stork is delivering them!
Coming back to where I deviated from… somewhere during this phase I had my grandma tell me how I should have a sister. How everyone needs a sister…. Gran, I’m eighteen. I do not need a sibling eighteen years younger than me. Then my mother started asking me how I’d like a sibling. My brothers were all for it. Oh well. But why did she ask me? Is she..? Ah, so I started observing my mother very closely indeed. All I knew about pregnancy was what I’d read in a story book. The lady in it had cravings for ice cream in the middle of the night.
She wasn’t expecting. And it was months before I relaxed. Neither was it the first, nor the last time I made horrendous assumptions!
When I was expecting, I found myself staring at every female I came across and branded most of them pregnant. Her stomach’s protruding. So is hers’. Goodness, that one’s probably full term…..
It was funny actually. And obviously a diversion. Like when I was a kid, my cousin and I decided we’d stick out our tongues at everyone on a bike…!!
After having Yumna, I made it a point to seek out every lady with an infant and see whether she was as chubby as I’d become!! *sgH*
I see you wonder... What next…. Believe me when I say *my sentiments exactly!*



PS Happy Ramadan To All Muslims :)

6 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM  

  • I hate the term delivered.

    But congratulations are in order!

    Happy Ramadan to all celebrating :)

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 11:06 AM  

  • Happy ramadhan to you too.

    I've changed my blog addy incase you noticed.


    Hmm... you gotta email add? I can email you my blog add. Sorry, for privacy purposes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • yeah, what's up w/ delivered?? ugh. in my book, babies are birthed. ;)

    funny story. congrats to your cousin!

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at 4:37 PM  

  • R2K: thanx... Ramadan is one bz month.

    the woman... i did notice... ambreen_ at hotmail.com

    amygeekgl.. *gR|n* this was at the time i was 18... the kid is 5 by now and has a sibling.... lucky for me i already had Yumna when she was expecting her second... so instead of assuming she was gaining wieght i made the correct deduction :p lol

    By Blogger Rambler, at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home