Sushi for beginners

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

All DatZ HappeNinG

My husband went to Malaysia for a tour. A lot happened around this event. For example, a pipeline in our kitchen burst sending water two floors down. That meant immediate plumbing and a lot of expense! They had to dig up the kitchen floor to find the desired pipeline! Also, I managed to get food poisoning. Had to go to the hospital at least twice for an IV and injected medicine to stop the throwing up fits! Got in control after 5-6 days! Bad days for me. Yumna was well taken care of since I had shifted to my mom’s place. She had her grand parents as well as two uncles to dote on her. They spoiled her rotten. Well, my budget’s down- way, way down. The plumbing, along with a huge electricity bill really took its toll. I am hoping I wake up one day (in the immediate future) and find out the month has ended. :p

Something I wanted to share. At the time of departure when my husband was waiting in the immigration line he came across a foreigner with her kid. She was standing in the well formed line when she decided she had had enough of the wait and broke the line trying to get ahead. It wasn’t that which got Fawad angry, but the fact that while she was doing this she laughed and commented to her son “This is Pakistan.” Now the condescending and the mocking tone was what really got to Fawad. Of all the dozens of Pakistanis in the queue, she was the one who had broken the rule. He said “do not blame Pakistan for the rules you are breaking.”
Seems she did not like it. After degrading Pakistan as loudly as she could have managed, she now turned to my husband. “I am not talking to you, idiot!” yes, those were precisely her words. What followed was a shouting match. My husband and that woman (I’m sorry but I can’t bring myself to call her a lady!) the star attraction was her kid- who started cursing as loudly as he could. Cursing my husband- words we do not hear, words we hope our kids never learn. And this one here was using them on a man twice his age. The match ended as soon as it had begun. The people politely broke it up. Later, some Pakistanis did approach my husband to tell him he did the right thing. The foreigners were guests in Pakistan and they were treated like guests but when the guests start to humiliate and mock the host, all I can say is, the host should not take that graciously, lying down.
A few things I wondered:
1. We, in Pakistan, know we can get away with speeding, breaking traffic signals, lines and all that stuff. Yet most of us don’t do it. That woman obviously kept the rules she knew she couldn’t get away breaking. And broke the rules she could get away with. What does that tell an onlooker about the people of the two nations?
2. In my twenty three years I have yet to meet a kid who curses someone older than him and two uses that kind of language in front of his mother.
3. What kind of a guest would mock and humiliate their host. Take undue advantage of their hospitality? And worse, think it their due!

4 Comments:

  • There is no excuse for racism or putting down nationalities. That woman was obviously lacking not only manners but humanity. Glad your husband did what he did too.

    Sorry about your bad run of luck on the homefront too. I hope all is better now.

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 7:48 AM  

  • Thank You :) There are times I believe when one should stay quiet and control their temper... this wasn't one of them!!

    By Blogger Rambler, at 9:43 AM  

  • Damn it. Too much man. But it's good that your hubby did what he did. Kudos to him.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • thats what i thought too :)

    By Blogger Rambler, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home