Sushi for beginners

Friday, August 05, 2005

A dietErZ j0uRnAl

Lactation has given me the freedom I always dreamt of- that is, the freedom to stuff myself however much I want to. As a result I haven’t lost much weight in the past year; but I tell myself I couldn’t possibly diet- it is bad for the child. [;)] The good thing is I hadn’t gained much during pregnancy and it took me just a month to get back from where I started. The bad thing is somehow my inches do not seem to understand I’m back to my pre-pregnancy weight. They adamantly refuse to go down to what they were!! (That might be because I refuse to exercise and refuse to watch what I eat but that’s beside the point.) My only consolation is in the fact that my doctor says inches go down once mothers stop lactating…. I even plan to diet once Yumna stops feeding.. (Ahem- right!)
I mean, it’s not like I eat a lot… as I usually say ‘it’s not how much I eat- it’s what I eat!’ If I stop having ice cream for breakfast; cheese for snacks; skip lunch [see- I do watch what I eat ;)]have mousse cake for dinner and… ( see what I mean)… but back to the topic…all I have to do is get a grip on this sweet tooth of mine… (Make it teeth, all 32 of ‘em!) I’ll be okay!
Jokes aside, since I was once (almost) an anorexic, I still feel the effects. While I enjoy desserts all I want since I am not gaining any weight, all hell would break lose if I actually did! The inches, I’m hoping, will eventually go down… (Hopefully before they get a chance to go up again!!) I do plan on exercising and dieting once I stop lactating- actually I’m hoping to start exercising sooner than that- but it’s much harder than I expected. The agility I once had is not there and my head starts swimming if I do my all time favorite Yoga poses (plough, bridge etc). Where I was once good at endurance I am now out of breadth after climbing three floors. (I live on the fourth; I’ve recently taken to use the staircase rather than the escalator) I haven’t yet started using the Orbitrack I once did (a full body workout machine. Like a bicycle- only you do it standing which gives other muscles a go and the hands move in accordance with the feet!). That’s because I’m worried Yumna would try to join me and that might result getting her hurt. (As it is she wants to join me when I’m typing and using the mouse…and I have to wait for her to take a nap before I use the pc!)
All in all, getting back in shape is hard work. Harder still, if you’ve had a cesarean! Since I’m having this much trouble after my first child I can not even begin to contemplate what happens after my third… (But I’ll have to go through months nausea, sleepless nights and *sHudDeR* labor before that!) so I’ll reserve the contemplation thank you very much!

3 Comments:

  • i'm worried about what will happen to my weight once ava weans. as it is, i weigh less now than i did in high school. it's craziness! right now i can eat anything and not worry about my weight at all. don't get me wrong, i still eat pretty healthfully, but i don't have to worry about having dessert here and there either. so it will be interesting. although maybe by the time she weans, i'll be pg with baby #2. hard to say. ;)
    good luck with your exercise plan. i know it's not easy.
    how old is yumna btw?

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at 1:45 PM  

  • 14 months. and she still aint walking!! oh, she can walk all right.... but only when she wants to!! *S|gH* has history even seen a case as this! she can walk but she prefrs to crawl...since crawling is faster... i've learnt that tempting her with stuff she likes is going abt it the wrong way..if it's something she likes she wants it then and there...so she very carefully sits and comes to mama crawling!!!

    By Blogger Rambler, at 9:42 PM  

  • my sister didn't walk until 15 months so don't despair. ;)

    and i've heard and read that kids who crawl longer have much better reading skills and comprehension later in life (something about crawling developing certain part of the brain), so don't worry too much. :)

    i'm sure once she starts walking full-time, there will be no stopping her so enjoy her on all 4s for the moment.

    btw, how fun that our DDs are nearly the same age. :) (ava will be 14 months on aug. 22)

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home