Sushi for beginners

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Duped!!

I groaned when I heard the bell. Okay, so I knew it was around mid day and I should’ve been up; but I honestly hadn’t felt like leaving the bed and since Yumna was peacefully asleep I was keen to make use of the extra time to rest. Who could it be? No one came up without getting through the guard and the guard made sure the residents were informed about their guests before the guests were allowed up. Sigh.
I got up, swayed on my feet and sat on the edge of the bed to let the vertigo pass. It also seemed that my left leg had gone numb. The whole of it! Well, let ‘em wait! Grr!
After I made sure I would be okay on my feet I went to the door. A man I had never seen before. Who the hell was he and why hadn’t I been told on the intercom first.

“Good day ma’am. For the anniversary of the best pizza in town, we decided to…….”
A salesman?!?!?!
Anniversary? Best pizza? Huh?! I wish I was in my full form at that time, but I was still reeling from the vertigo and the numb feet effects. He was offering me these discount vouchers. Buy 1 get 1 free vouchers. I knew for a fact that they were *not* especially for the anniversary since I had politely declined to buy the very voucher a few months back at my mom’s place. I also knew that the marketing company that the salesman worked for specialized in such vouchers since my parents had owned a number of them over time.
I told the man politely that I did not like the pizza by that particular pizza shop. Best pizza in town? Bah! He started on telling me how the management had recently changed and the pizzas were so much better now. But why should I waste so much when I haven’t tasted the new pizza? Who knows whether I like it or not? He replied there was one special coupon which would get me my first pizza free. On that first free pizza I would have gotten my money value- and even if I didn’t like it, I could give the coupon away since I already had my money’s worth. I could go give it to my enemy!! Erm! Salesmen!
So it was me against him and I wasn’t in my best form and I thought just saying and abrupt no and shutting my door and as a result? I bought the vouchers!! Double Grr! Who had let him up anyway!
Taking the voucher back in and reading it I discovered a few facts he had not let me know. For example, the free pizza deal was only till December 2005. I had a little over two weeks. And it was a regular pizza, not a large one, as he had hinted. So I wouldn’t get my money’s worth in that one pizza, especially if I had to pay the tax on that pizza and every free pizza I bought! I wouldn’t even get half my money’s worth! And lastly, I did not have one year to enjoy the rest of the coupons as he had said. The voucher expired July 2006. 4 months short of the time he gave me. Somewhat back to my normal form I ran to the door to look around if he was still there for the other flats on my floor. I couldn’t see him. I sighed.
10 minute later a neighbor called me up to ask about these coupons. I told her what I’d discovered and she was indignant. Why hadn’t I told her before. She had already bought the card. Seems the guy told her he only had 5 vouchers and 3 were already sold. (Another ploy they always use- I have a lot of knowledge about them since some one or other was always coming around my parents’ place!) Now, there are around 60 apartments in the building that I live. How was I supposed to call everyone? I kept quiet as she went on about how it was a neighbor’s duty… I knew how she felt. I felt worse since I had dealt with so many of them in the past...how could I loose my form?
A call to the guard informed me that he was unaware a salesman had walked up. What is the world coming to?! May be some excuse on the salesman part had let him get through? Or maybe he passed himself off as a resident? A confident stride, not looking at the guard and looking as if he belonged here. Whatever. It was over. I’d have to make use of this discount voucher. Maybe I could get away with not making dinner for a few days. :p :p


PS: We had the pizza. It wasn’t bad. Albeit expensive.

5 Comments:

  • Dur. The guard must've been sleeping! :P

    Ps: Welcome back. Pizza for you ma'am?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

  • Grr, I hate that. And I have fallen for it too. And never used the vouchers. I have a no solicitation sign on my door, and now I don't answer the door unless I know someone is coming over.

    I hate that!!

    By Blogger Running2Ks, at 9:22 AM  

  • thanx :) eh... I'm just hoping no other salespeople drop by for a visit... i like the peaceful life :-/

    By Blogger Rambler, at 9:22 AM  

  • Hey, you gotta blog often. And you should start putting up pics? Yumna? Let us see her?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

  • i know... i know..... but i have to wait till Yumna's asleep...and then complet my chores... :( she doesn't lemme blog!! lol!! she wants to express her opinion too!! :p

    By Blogger Rambler, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home