Sushi for beginners

Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Moment Of Enlightenment

The lights went out and she was suddenly seized by a wave of panic. She was not a person to scare easily. Yet the panic and dread she felt would not go away. As she lay in her bed unmoving she thought, “this is how it will feel when I die. Only, the bed wont be as soft, nor the grave this roomy.” She spread her hands as far as she could, breathing deeply in the air- still cool from the air conditioner that had been on before the light out. “I will not be able to move freely. The air will be murky- suffocating. I will probably have been tied.”
The panic had subsided- leaving only dread behind. She was remembering her colleague who had died last year. “She was young- so young. Death did not care about that, did it? It surrounded her anyway. Her long hair, delicate body- all part of dust now. What did she feel as her soul was extracted from her body? Pain? Dread? Relief? What will I feel? There is no avoiding it. No two ways about it. I will die. What do I have to show for my life? A few useless degrees? A job I spend fifty hours a week on? Who have I been kind to recently? No one. When did I last remember my God? When did I last beg for forgiveness? Can’t remember. Who will help me out? My boss? My friends? Even mothers wont help their children that day- who am I to depend upon friends.”
She kept thinking, sweating- even though the air was still cool. The lights were back. She hadn’t noticed. She was still in a world of her own. She did not know where this had come from.
“ Ah- God; well, the thing is, I was too busy with the job, the outings with my friends, sleeping and entertaining myself to think about this life. Had I the time, the opportunity- no doubt I would’ve worshipped myself to stupor.” She could just see herself nodding with conviction. “You bet I would’ve!”
She gulped. What if she was asked the amount of time she spent being ‘bored’, with ‘nothing to do’ or even the time she wasted away strolling in the malls with no intent on buying anything!?! How many excuses could she think of? When in all honesty, she did not feel like praying.
She wondered had she been born blind and asked God why he had not given her the two standard eyes- and He replied he didn’t feel like it; or worse, since he wasn’t in the mood he felt he ought not to do it; what would she have done? She had never really given her eyes a second thought- not even a first would be more accurate. Yet they were one of her greatest assets. Then there were her ears…. Everything He had given her was worth more than everything she had ever earned. Yet she blatantly refused to thank Him for it all. Where would it all lead? Not to the elevated position one wished for, she was sure. That was why, fifteen minutes after the lights had come on again, the she in question was knelt before her creator begging for forgiveness and asking for enlightenment to the right path

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home